Wednesday 21 August 2013

Why run an ultramarathon?


I’m a runner. Just a few months ago, I would have written: “I run”, now being a runner is part of my identity, I think of myself as one, and that makes me part of a global community of millions.
I’m also an ultra runner. OK, that one I hesitated to write… After all I have so far only completed one ultra marathon (that is, a distance longer than the standard 42.2K marathon). Moreover, the label puts me in the same category as luminaries like Dean Karnazes, Scott Jurek, Pat Farmer or Lisa Tamati. Talk about daunting!
Yet I would indeed consider myself an ultra runner. Not a fast one, not an experienced one, but a normal guy who happens to have completed an 84K run and sees himself as an ultra runner.
Why run ultra marathons? On the face of it, it is a rather pointless activity. It is debatable whether it is good for your body, given the battering you go through, it certainly isn’t good for your social life, it is painful, exhausting, possibly dangerous, and does not carry high prize money, even if you manage to win races (the most you get in many cases is a belt buckle!) Yet many of us are addicted to running ultras. I can’t say whether it will be my case, I am too new to the sport, but I know I can’t wait for my next one (70K in New Zealand’s Coromandel Peninsula in November, hopefully).
My personal attempt at answering the question would start with what I experienced during that 84K run (which was itself part of a wider 250K multi stage race). It wasn’t exactly fun: I had really bad cramps in my calves, I had painful blisters on my feet, and I was totally exhausted at the end. Yet the feeling I had after crossing the finish line was one of pure joy. I felt a sense of accomplishment such as I had not experienced before. I had dug deeper than ever before, and come out victorious. I now knew I could achieve extraordinary things if I put my mind to it.
I didn’t do well that day. I completed the stage in around 16 hours: if you do the math, it’s not a great pace. In fact I probably did more walking (or maybe shuffling) than running. But that didn’t matter, I had gone deep inside myself and learned things about myself that I probably could not have learned any other way, and that alone makes the experience unique and worthwhile. It is not just the fact of being alone in the desert. I think it is the actual pain and exhaustion, the fact of pushing your body beyond its limits, that leads to such insights. When you reach that point, you don’t wear a mask anymore, you are totally yourself, and that can be scary because who you see may be a person you have seldom seen before. And what is more, other people see it too. During an ultra you get to see the true essence of a person, whether it is yourself or your running mates.
The fact that you see people the way they really are also leads to human relationships that are very different than can be built in other situations. The sense of camaraderie experienced in these events is truly unique. No one really cares who wins the race, it is more about ensuring that every last person gets the help they need to cross that finish line. Ultra runners form a community unlike any other, one that can only be understood by taking the plunge.
One thing is for sure, you’ll never run alone…

No comments:

Post a Comment