Monday 2 September 2013

Training to go the distance


I seem to be getting more and more requests from friends and colleagues to help them with their running. I am certainly no expert, but apparently I do know how to go from couch potato to desert runner in a matter of months. Obviously I am not going to come up with anything revolutionary, as almost everything I know about running I learned from one of the best in the business (my coach Lisa). But I am happy to share my experiences in case someone out there finds it useful (feel free get in touch if you are interested).

Let’s get two things out of the way first:
1.      I’m not fast. I mean, I am never going to win races, nor is it my goal. In fact, when you run an ultra, it is really more about finishing than time (see my previous post). So if your goal is to run a 3:30 marathon, I don’t think I can help you (because I’m unlikely to ever achieve it).

2.      I prefer running on trails. OK, I do have a project to run down an 837-km highway, but there is nothing like being alone in nature, nothing like getting dirty out there, discovering landscapes that my motorised friends will never get to see.

So how did I get from 21K to 250K in just 4 months? I’m embarrassed to say, I didn’t really train that much, partly due to an injury, so I was the first one surprised by my achievement. But these are the things I did try to do:
·         I didn’t run every day, but I did attempt two consecutive long runs on the weekend. I would like to say that I ran 100K a week prior to my ultra (that’s the official recommendation), but I think that only happened one week. However, if you can run at least 50K over a weekend, you’re doing well. Learning to run on tired legs is crucial.

·         There is nothing wrong with walking. In an ultra, there is just no point powering up hills: the time you gain does not compensate the amount of energy you expand. I was quite surprised to see that even the elite runners spend a fair amount of time walking, and not only uphill. So tramping (hiking for non-Kiwis) is great training too. As I prepared, I just tried to spend a lot of time on my feet.

·         I tried running mostly trails (and on the beach since I was preparing for a desert). Very few ultras are run on roads, so if you’re preparing for an event in nature, no point training on the road. Hills are great for strength and overall cardio development.

·         Intervals really help. I was a bit sceptical with that piece of advice, since I had no particular speed goal, but speed training builds strength. I usually did this on a treadmill, with 4x4 minutes at a fast pace (say 13-14 kph), interspersed with 4x4 minutes at a slow pace (say 8 kph), and of course warm up and cool down.

·         Strength training in the gym also helps. Runners tend to focus on their lower body, but core strength is crucial as well. Since I am tall, my shoulders and upper back tend to start hurting when running for a long time, so I did exercises to strengthen them as well. I usually completed a weight circuit twice a week.

·         I also attended a Les Mills class called Body Balance, which is a mix of yoga, tai chi and pilates. It provides a core workout, together with flexibility and balance. It is also an excellent way to relax.
 
But most of all, completing a major event is about what goes on in your mind. It is about remembering why you’re out there, focusing on the prize, whatever that may be for you. It is about digging deep, pushing through the pain barrier and believing in yourself. As Pat Farmer told us, when you think you’ve gone as far as you can ever go, you’ve only gone half as far as your body is able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment